22 May 2008

I've gone pro

well sort of. I won a dollar, a whole dollar, from a prime (pronounced preem for non-cyclists). Basically the Claremont Points Series Race is a "criterium" held on a quarter mile car racing track. Doing the A race, I made my way around the track approximately 60 times. The beauty of this race is, if you get dropped, you can just go to the top of the track and wait for the pack to come around again. Since I drove down and got an approximately 26.9 second warm up, I was not so prepared for the off-the-bat sprinting my wonderful Dartmouth teammates did (they had biked down and I drove their extra stuff down the 20 miles or so to Claremont). So about lap 5, I got dropped, and instead of stopping and getting lapped, I decided to keep going and catch up. Another guy who had gotten dropped and I had a good pace going, trading off every lap, and eventually Ben Jones from Dartmouth joined up after letting us lap him. Eventually the guy who gave out the primes yelled "Dollar for you three, and rang the bell" so the next lap we sprinted out for the dollar and I won, so I got a dollar prize money, ergo I received money for cycling, meaning I am a professional cyclist (yeah it's a stretch, but hey I'll take whatever I can get).

In the end, once I got warmed up it was really fun. I got comfortably into the pack, even took a turn at the front when the pace slowed up a bit. And hey I was drafting of a National Champion, Toby Marzot, not bad, considering how much better shape he is in than I am. So overall a good race, can't complain.

I'd like to thank the Bradley's for their donation to the cause!

EDIT: Don't worry mom I won't get kicked out of NCAA competition, you can accept prize money in one sport and still be an amateur in another and compete in NCAA

1 comment:

Moxness said...

Well that's a relief. Now go study.
Love ya, mom