13 May 2008

It's a long way to the top...

if you want to Rock and Roll...

Also it's a long way to the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge from Hanover. This weekend is DOC (Dartmouth Outing Club) Spring weekend so there were tons and tons of trips (none of which I went on for some reason), but Saturday night concluded with everyone meeting up at the Lodge and having hearty dinner, dancing to some bluegrass music and then either going home or staying overnight at the Lodge. In my desperate attempt to be social Saturday afternoon I biked up to the Lodge. Two other skiers and I made the three hour trek, which was all uphill, and we had a headwind. It was one of the harder rides I've done not racing because we pushed the entire time in an effort to get to the lodge for 6pm dinner (we got there at 6:15, coincidentally dinner was at 6:30, leaving me just enough time to soak my sore calves in the cold stream). A good time was had by all, great food, dancing to bluegrass music, and general revelry celebrating the start of spring/summer.

So in other news I just bought a full on USCF (United State Cycling Federation... I think) license, and then was able to upgrade to Cat 4 with my ECCC races and races back home in Alaska. So that means that I will be able to race this Saturday with people who have actually raced before, and possibly win some prize money if I do well!

Well there is lots going on in Hanover, mostly because it is sunny and I also have a lot of school work to do... I wish I could get out and ride everyday, but that just isn't feasible, so I'll have to settle for 3 or 4 longer rides a week. Oh well. Oh yeah I finally got my physical for BNB so that's one more thing crossed of the list. Now I just need to complete my sweat equity (8 hours of work with an affordable housing group before the trip) and I'll be all set. Hopefully I will be able to complete most of that with an organization in White River Junction called COVER, they fix up homes for those who can't afford to do it themselves. Information about them can be found here. I also might do some work with the Upper Valley Habitat for Humanity working on a project in Norwich.

In biking news, Jen Stebbins '09 from Dartmouth won the US Collegiate Nationals Division 2 Crit! Yay Jen way to kick butt.

Also thanks to Chris and Mimi Beck for their donation which pushed me over the $7000 mark!

No comments: