17 June 2008

Packing List

So I thought that people must be wondering: what in the world is he taking? So here is a packing list. Just for reference we have a small trailer in which we can keep most of said things while we're biking. We will also be sleeping in schools and churches as well as in tents.
So here is the official BnB packing list (the comments are my own)

CLOTHING
4 pairs underwear
2 T-shirts (man those guys are going to get trashed by the end of the year)
B&B T-shirt (they give this to us)
3 pairs socks
2 pairs shorts
1 pair of pants
1 pair sneakers
Sandals / flip-flops
Bathing suit
1 set long underwear
Hat or cap
Sweater/Sweatshirt
Pajamas or sleepwear

CYCLING CLOTHING
3 pairs cycling shorts
1 B&B cycling jersey (one jersey all summer... don't worry I'll wash it everyday)�
3 pairs cycling socks
Cycling shoes
Cycling gloves
Rain jacket
Leg warmers or cycling tights
Arm warmers
Warm layer

PERSONAL ITEMS
Toiletries
Sunscreen
Quick-dry towel
Camera
MP3 player / iPod
Book or journal
Chamois cream
Cell phone

EQUIPMENT
Sleeping bag
Air mattress (we also get this free, awesome a thermarest!)
Sunglasses
Flashlight or headlamp
Compression sack
Mesh bag for laundry

CYCLING EQUIPMENT
Bicycle (well duh...)
Helmet
Air pump
2 or 3 water bottles and cages (I'll go with 2, there's no way to get 3 on our bicycles without welding)
Patch kit
Bike lock
Hydration pack (ie Camelbak)
Clipless pedals
Cycling computer
Seat bag
3 spare inner tubes (I have like 8 that I found lying around... I think I'm set)
Multi-use bike tool
2 extra spokes
3 tire levers (okay yeah, I am bringing two, one extra in case I loose the other, you don't need 3 tire levers to change a tube, only one, or in some cases none)
Chain lube

A couple things I added to the list
Bike Grease - no mention on any of the Bike and Build materials about bike maintenance about greasing threads, something you should ALWAYS do.
Locktite - so said bolts won't rattle out, per se on bottle cages or cleats, substitute for grease.
4/5/6 mm Y allen wrench - the most useful bike tool made, can loosen or tighten almost everything on a bike (well a newer bike).
Extra Tires - well stock tires, I bought new Continental GatorSkins so I have the two ones that came on the bike.
Dartmouth Jersey - another clean jersey is never a space waster.
Road Rash first aid kit with antibiotic ointment and pain relievers (the most important things) - you can never have too much safety.
Laptop - (even though BnB discourages it) so some of the other bloggers and I can write these lovely messages.
Some Food - it was left over at the end of the year, may as well use it now.
Frisbee - always a necessity.

That is all, I think.

Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."
-- Bill Nye the Science Guy

No comments: