16 June 2008

Back Stateside

So four more days before the start of my great adventure! So in the time between Dartmouth spit me out of my first year (what a great year it was) and Bike and Build starts at 1 pm in Portsmouth, my mother and I took a short trip to Iceland. So I know what you're saying - what place can you go on vacation that has less people and worse weather than Alaska... Iceland. It was a great trip to a wonderful country. We spent eight days driving around the Ring Road (Hwy 1) seeing the sites. Anyway, all around great trip. After that we drove to New Paltz, NY where we are staying with some family friends for the time before the 18th. Today we went in to New York City, saw more sites, visited the city. It was the first time I had been there. I must say there were a lot of people (who would've thought?), and stores selling everything - I mean a whole store devoted to yogurt, come on... I heard some people talking it was very good actually.

Tomorrow we will be heading down to the city again to see a Yankees game, last season in Yankee Stadium, so no time like the present to see one. So that will be more driving (I seem to be doing a lot of it now, but hopefully won't do much more for 2 and a half months). Other than that, yesterday I was biking around New Paltz in my Dartmouth jersey seeing how the bike was working, only a few things to fix, but biking to the local pool an older guy rolled down his window and yelled "Go Dartmouth" - undoubtedly an alum. Dartmouth is a wonderful big community, if you see someone wearing Dartmouth clothing you can always go up and ask "What year are you?" and talk about Hanover (which in fact happened to me on the Boston subway with a lady who was a '98 I think).

So next report will probably be from Portsmouth at the start of Bike and Build. And I would like to thank some more donors Linda Campbell, Tom Beck, William Campbell, and the Filibertis (who I'd also like to thank for letting me store stuff and house me and my mom for a night on our way to New Paltz from Iceland).

Happy biking and a quote to end it all

Cycling, of course, is the eternal pursuit of pain and discomfort.
-- BikeSnobNYC.blogspot.com

No comments: