13 April 2008

Rubber side down

"Rubber side down", seems like one of the only things I did right this weekend at Boston Beanpot Classic races. I came into the weekend thinking I would do much better than I actually ended up, really no one to blame but myself here. Taking time consuming classes and only riding... three times before the TTT (team time trial for those not into racing) was probably not the best idea. My cardiovascular system seems fine, I can get plenty of oxygen and I'm not hyperventilating or anything, just my leg muscles don't seem to like going that fast... I would stand up to sprint and my legs would feel like dead weights. On the bright side, I had a blast - the cycling team is a lot of fun and the TTT did go well, my team got 5th. I will definitely be doing more riding before the UVM races. I did achieve one of my goals of not falling in corner #2 of the Beanpot Crit, it actually was surprisingly easy especially since my field was going to slow around the corners...

So yes, conclusion of my long rambling, nonsensical post is that I am slow and somewhat out of shape, but bike racing is fun and spending the entire weekend with new friends is equally awesome, so go ride bikes! It will make you feel great!

Also a few notes, I would like to thank my Aunt Mary Lee, Nan & Andy Satter, and Linda & David Duff for their generous donations in support of my ride. My goal by the beginning of the trip is to reach $5000, which is definitely possible. I think with these last donations I should be up around $4700 so far. Thanks to all my donors for their support!

So I guess I forgot to mention what bike I will be riding across the country on... whoops. It is a Specialized Allez Triple (yes I am not giving in to the racing part of my brain that said get a double). It will be outfitting (besides with stock componentry) with my racing pedals, Look Keo Carbons, and my saddle (of which I have two since I like it so much), a Selle Italia C2. Do I have a picture of it on my camera, yes - do I have a way to get said picture onto my computer, no, since I can't find the cable, it is lost somewhere in the depths of my room. So the picture from the website will have to suffice.
Of note, the Specialized website say it has a carbon seatpost, it looks awfully like an aluminum seatpost wrapped with carbon, but it all works for me, I don't really care that much...

Now go ride your bike!

No comments: