11 August 2008

Whitefish, MT

Sorry about the few posts I've had. I haven't been actively seeking out internet that much so it makes it harder to get these blogs up.

We just biked through Glacier National Park, it was wonderful. A group of us got up at 5:15 so that we could be to mile 45 of the Going to the Sun Road by 10am because from Logan Pass (6646 ft, and high point of our trip, at mile 25) to McDonald Lake at mile 45 the road is closed to cyclists from 10 to 4 due to construction. So we got up and through the park with plenty of time to spare. The views were absolutely amazing, reminding me a lot of home. The descent from Logan Pass was very cold, I only had a long sleeve poly pro shirt underneath my normal jersey so it made for a chilly few miles until we were out of the wind and in tree cover. We got into town and immediately went for showers and then to get a huge cheeseburger at the Bulldog Saloon (a tip from a friend of mine who spends his Julys in Whitefish). Most of the group had to wait until 4pm to start descending to Whitefish, or take a shuttle down the hill.

Yesterday we came from Cut Bank to St. Mary (just outside the park boundary) and the last 8 miles of our trip was a long downhill where Christopher, Dae and I were cruising at about 40 mph for most of it. Not much else of interest on that ride except the horrendous headwind and the wonderful views of the Rockies. The day before was in Chester where the game of assassins reached it's conclusion. If you haven't read about this in other blogs we had a game of assassins going on for about 3 days. How assassins works is that we put everyone in random order in a big circle and you know the name of the person in front of you. That person is your target and to "kill" your target you have to hit them with a rolled up clean sock outside of specific safe zones (in the morning, on your bike, doing bike and build work, on the church grounds before dinner or only inside the church after dinner). When you kill your target that person tells you their target and you are supposed to kill them. As more and more people die the circle gets smaller and smaller until there are only a few left. I was able to strategically kill and avoid being killed until there were 4 people left - Me who had Jessie who had Kathy who had Bobby who in turn had to kill me. We had been forgoing lunch stops and only staying in safe places for the most part until we got to Chester. There we decided that we needed to end the game. So while Kathy was in the town and Bobby in the shower, Jessie drew me out of the church by running off. She went back to the church but I went into town and found Kathy she went to the library and I went back to the church. When I got back, it all started to go down.

Jessie went to the library to kill Kathy, taking Bobby with her to prevent me from just following her and killing her right away. As Jessie went into the library, Bobby ran halfway back. Meanwhile I knew there was a back entrance to the library and took a back way to get there so as Kathy (who had died) and Jessie were plotting a way back to avoid me I came through the library and killed Jessie, so now it was just Bobby and I. I ran back to the church and talked with Jessie and Kathy who had returned, but still no Bobby. I set out to find him and Jessie and Kathy were just walking around outside the church. Jessie spooked Bobby (thinking she was after him) and he ran back to the church, I saw him and hid behind the church's trash cans and killed him as he passed me at full trot. He was initially confused since he didn't know I had killed Jessie. So I was the master assassin.

That is about the only interesting things that have happened (or that I remember right now). So it's time to log off.

Good day from Whitefish.

1 comment:

Moxness said...

All down hill from here. Right? Great job getting up and over the Rockies. I remember driving over Going To The Sun road as a kid and being pretty impressed. Any break pads left?

We're 4000 miles proud of you.

Love ya